Re: [gnome-flashback] [gnome-panel] Fix window-list applet bug on vertical panel 03_tasklist_orientation.patch from debian. This require

On 06/18/2014 02:47 PM, Alberts Muktupāvels wrote:
Am 18.06.2014 00:49, schrieb Alberts Muktupāvels:

>>      > If you know how to fix that than please go ahead and set
>> correct author.
>>     Again more work for me, because you are too lazy to do it
>> correctly when
>>     importing the patch into git ? No thanks.
>
> How to fix that? I tried with 'git rebase -i -p' to change author and
> reformat some of my commit messages, but history rewriting is
> disallowed. Than how I am supposed to fix that?

Figure out the author (and if possible the original patch date) from the
patch metadata.
I usually fix up the patch, so it has a proper "From" header, and
applies cleanly with git-am.

Alternatively, use --author and --date when doing git commit.

For patches that are already in your local branch, when you
 a) cherry-pick a single patch, or
 b) do an interactive rebase like you tried (with an "edit" at every
relevant step)
you can then
  git commit --amend --author=... --date=...

Now you have a clean commit with all the data locally.

You are right, you are not allowed to push such a "rewritten" history to
Gnome's git.
But as you won't push to the master branch for now anyhow, that's no
problem.
Push it as
  git push origin features/$MYNEWFEATURE
if the feature branch is a work in progress, and send it with
  git format-patch --in-reply-to=$MESSAGE_ID_OF_COVER_LETTER ...
to this list for review when it is ready.

No! I am not going to do that.

First no one is going to sue anyone because of two simple lines. Also as I wrote we can simply write both Jean-Marc Bourguet and Josselin Mouette as authors in NEWS and everyone will be happy.

Your requirements are way to high for deprecated software.

1. License problem. I gave links where it clearly wrote that it is GPL. Also GPL is mentioned in some source code files. If that not enough than think logically - is gnome-applets library? I think not. It is clear that it is mistake. Also what you have done to resolve this? Have you tried to contact some or something else? Probably not, you are just waiting until all work will be done by someone else.

2. Than next thing I remember - reason to fix patch. You did not like variable name 'grid' when I wrote patch to port gtktable to gtkgrid. Name 'table' has worked for years. Name 'grid' works everywhere I found. No one has had problem with it, but you had.

3. You want me to track down authors of some very old code. I have seen even comments like 'stolen from' for copy&paste codes and it has not been problem for others while you have found problem even I link to place from where I copied it. Without speaking it is same gnome project.

4. I spend many time to make matacity to work with gtk+3, but again you are just trying to find problems. There was plenty off time. Why did not you do that all work in "right" way?

If you have so little time than why did you became maintainer? What you have done as maintainer? There are 15 commits where you are patch author. 3 commits regarding adding yourself as maintainer. 3 commits just reverting my commits (on one revert I don't agree). 1 commit for making release. 2 commits regarding wrapper script (useless script). That leaves 6 commits with some actual work. And it is 9 months since you released 3.8.0.

I tried to make gnome-panel better. Have not seen anyone reporting that something has been broken because of my commits. It been reported that it works better.

I was ready to remove gconf from gnome-panel (including porting applets from gconf to gsettings). I was ready to port GtkAction to GAction. To remove some useless multi-screen code. Fix more deprecations.

I have created branches for background and shutdown/logout problems. Yes they require some more work (more likely many work) before we can merge them.

But I do understand! I am that bad guy, I am doing every possible thing in wrong way, I am breaking last things that works.

I will use GNOME Flashback (gnome-panel) in one or other way. I can return to my github branch and continue what I have started and don't look to upstream anymore.

If you want I can leave. Is that what you want? Is that what everyone on this mailing-list wants?

That's certainly not what I want. You fixed every bug I raised during the Ubuntu/Edubuntu Trusty dev cycle and I'm very appreciative for that.

P.S. If I have wrote something offensive then I apologize for that.

Lance