Re: [gnome-flashback] Releasing gnome-panel 3.8.1, 3.10 for trusty ?, the state of master, RFH for code review

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Philipp Kaluza <floss ghostroute eu> wrote:
Am 26.07.2014 um 13:29 schrieb Alberts Muktupāvels:
> Are you serious? Do you know how many distributions are updated to
> GNOME Panel 3.8? I found that GNOME Panel 3.8 is available in Ubuntu
> 14.04, Debian Jessie and Debian Sid. For example all of them have GTK+
> 3.10 or newer. There is no distribution that use GNOME Panel 3.8 with
> pure GNOME 3.8.

Of course I'm serious. That doesn't wave the promise I made when
releasing 3.8.0, nor the implied stability guarantee of a Gnome-targeted
release. We don't know who else might have a build lying around.

Yeah, good reason to focus on 3.8 branch rather trying to make it compatible with GNOME 3.10+.

> As GNOME Panel 3.8 is used with GTK+ 3.10 that means that we could
> make 3.8.1 release even with multi-screen code removal and it would
> change nothing. Nothing!

You argument is invalid.

How this is invalid? Are you saying that gnome-panel 3.8 still can be used with multiple screens even with GTK+ 3.10+? Then please tell me how to do that. Otherwise it is just some useless extra code.

And because there might be user who is using gnome-panel 3.8 with pure GNOME 3.8 is not reason to put limited time in 3.8 branch when there is more important work to do. Or do you know any distribution that is using gnome-panel 3.8 with pure GNOME 3.8? I found 0.

You called loudly for another 3.8 release, now you're getting it, and
you are not happy that I don't jump at including your pet patches ?

What I am getting? Empty words and nothing more. I won't be surprised if there won't be any new release this year. But from other side there might be new release to just prove that I am wrong.

Personally I don't need 3.8.1 release. I have gnome-panel and gnome-applets in better state.

And why are you responding only to some parts not whole mail? For example this question:
How are you planing to make 3.12 or 3.14 release?

I guess everyone here would like to hear answer to this question.