[gnome-flashback] Rewinding master

Hi All,
as proposed in <53BC30CA 40408 ghostroute eu> which did not meet any
objections, we will rewind master (to just after the current release) to
get it into a reviewable state.

The oustanding work that had already been in master has been split up
into the branches
 * features/layout-using-gtkgrid
 * features/modernize-for-gnome-3-12
 * features/port-gsettings
to get some reviewable chunks. We will review these here on the list.

As the GConf deprecation had never been formally announced, I have set a
formal deprecation period until the end of the year, subject to
maintainer constraints.

That means the API and ABI breaks will not get into Gnome Panel 3.10 and
probably also not 3.12.

However, if you are a user of libpanel-applet, please speak up so your
needs can be assessed.

Any proactive help in reviewing outstanding work (even if it's only
links to bug reports where stuff has been discussed before) would be
greatly appreciated.

Cheers
  Philipp

--