Re: [gnome-flashback] metacity and gtk3

Hi László,

Am 26.09.2013 20:17, schrieb László Boros:
Hi everyone!

It's great to see other devs interested in MATE! Porting metacity to
GTK3 is my task, but right now I had to pause it a bit, since I'm
studying at a university and the semester has begun, hence I don't
really have time for it.

You have my full sympathies. :-)

By the way I found a metacity port on GNOME git under mutter, isn't
that what you are looking for?
https://git.gnome.org/browse/mutter/tag/?id=3.0.0 (you made me unsure
a bit, since that is the source I'm working "from", it is a great help)

As far as I remember it, mutter was created as a copy of the metacity
git repository, and during the 3.0 timeframe, both a port to GTK+ 3 and
the addition of a clutter-based composition manager were merged.

I'm thinking we'd only want the GTK+ 3 patches for now¹. If you can help
us to identify those, it would be helpful.
Also, a personal request: when you pick a commit into your repositories,
make sure to use "git cherry-pick" or similar, that preserves the
authorship information. Other parts of mate (don't want to name names
here) were in the past not so good about that, and that makes
cross-merging unnecessarily painful.

When the work is done it will be merged back into mate-window-manager
of course, but I don't know if it will be merged into metacity.

I cannot promise that to you for sure, but there is definite interest
from the Gnome Flashback side.

Keep up the good work,
  Philipp

¹ Although it is conceivable we might want a wayland-compatible
composition engine in metacity at some point in the far future, at the
moment I don't think this buys us anything.