Re: [gnome-flashback] Debug-ability; getting gnome-panel 3.8 out

Hi Lanoxx,

Am 23.09.2013 20:21, schrieb Lanoxx:
Hello Philipp,

thank you very much for working on this and taking the time to write
this comprehensive summary. As I am still using gnome-panel this is
really appreciated.

I have tried a couple of times to build gnome-flashback with jhbuild but
each time I gave up after a few hours. There were always a multitude of
little problems starting from knowing which moduleset to use to missing
library and dependencies. The biggest problems were that when I try to
build the gnome-3-8 moduelset jhbuild is trying to pull in a whole lot
of dependencies which are not actually necessary for gnome-fallback and
which are also installed in the correct version on my system.

Didn't you get my email on 2013-08-01 ? I had tried to explain why
jhbuild does what it does.

Also Dmitry had suggested on 2013-08-15 to just build a git checkout
standalone. Have you tried this ?

It would be really be great if there was a small guide on howto build
and install gnome-flashback. If possible with a minimum of additional
libraries. You may correct me if I am wrong, but from what I saw of the
commits in git, it does not seem there have been a lot of changes which
make newer versions of libraries necessary. In theory shouldnt it be
possible to reuse most of the libraries installed on a Ubuntu 12.10.

No, at least evolution-data-server needs to be from version 3.5.3 or
newer; other components will probably have similar constraints.

Let me try a small guide on how to build on Debian unstable (similarly
for a current Ubuntu):

sudo apt-get build-dep gnome-panel
git clone git://git.gnome.org/gnome-panel
./autogen --prefix=/usr/local/ --enable-maintainer-mode
  (install lib...-dev packages that are needed, possibly from experimental)
  (iterate until all dependencies are satisfied)
make
sudo make install
sudo ln -s /usr/local/share/xsessions/gnome-fallback.desktop ln -s
/usr/share/xsessions/gnome-fallback.desktop
(and, if you use the distribution's gnome-session:)
sudo ln -s /usr/local/share/xsessions/gnome-fallback.desktop ln -s
/usr/share/xsessions/
sudo ln -s
/usr/local/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome-flashback.session
/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/

If the make step above fails, try "make V=1" and report the output here,
we'll try to help you.

At the time of this writing, only experimental has gnome-session 3.8,
which is the one you should test with, if at all possible for you. :)

Cheers,
  Philipp

--
Philipp Kaluza