Re: [gnome-flashback] Debug-ability; getting gnome-panel 3.8 out

Hi Philipp,

On 21/10/13 02:41, Philipp Kaluza wrote:
Hi Lanoxx, hi all,

Am 02.10.2013 18:32, schrieb Lanoxx:
If this is the cause, either we need to apply this partial revert, or
bump our GTK+ dependency.
Personally I think commit dde999b0
<https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-panel/commit/gnome-panel/panel-util.c?id=dde999b0ba9d444f5d97ff13179a585dfe1ee711>
should be reverted. Unless we have any other serious reason to bump
the dependency to 3.8 or 3.10 I would vote to leave it on 3.6. Debian
stable for example still ships 3.4.2.
I have pondered this question for a while, and asked for guidance of
more experienced maintainers.

Here is what I have come up with:
The gnome-panel 3.8 series is targeted at working in combination with
other Gnome 3.8 components.
Therefore, feature patches that restore functionality when running with
e.g. g-s-d 3.8 - if sufficiently tested - are on-topic for the 3.8
series, as is this dependency bump to Gtk+ 3.8.

As I have indicated before, other, bigger refactorings are off-topic for
the 3.8 branch, and should be staged in bugzilla until such time when we
decide to merge them into master.

Lanoxx, if you still feel strongly about building gnome-panel against
GTK+ 3.6, we could re-open the 3.6 branch, and backport the flashback
work to that. What do you think ?
The only reason I am building gnome-panel against 3.6 is because its way to complex to build the whole 3.8 stack with jhbuild and this is the only way that I can get gnome-panel to compile and run (also currently clock-applet wont start, see my other mail).

Since the problem is currently a one line fix I can just keep that in my local working tree and dont worry about, I just don't really see the point in breaking compatibility with GTK+3.6 for this one line "fix". Anyway, I think we don't need to reopen 3.6, lets just focus on improving 3.8 and work on 3.10.

However, as we have already opened a branch for 3.8 I would prefer if we could already open master for 3.10 development and commit anything thats currently queued in bugzilla. That way it will be easier to test and work on new features. We can just cherry-pick g-s-d related fixes from master then and apply them to 3.8, it should be easy enough.

Independent of that I would be nice if you or one of the other two maintainers could comment on the bugs that I and Alberts have touched in the last two weeks and review some of the patches, I think except for some of the bigger patches, most of the others can be reviewed and marked as commit-now. I am currently hesitating to review more of the open bugs because there has been no response for the last two weeks, but I am sure I could also write a few small patches for some of the open bugs and I will do that if I feel that its worth the time that I put into.

Cheers
   Philipp

Cheers
Lanoxx