Re: [gnome-flashback] Debug-ability; getting gnome-panel 3.8 out

Hi Lanoxx, hi all,

Am 02.10.2013 18:32, schrieb Lanoxx:
If this is the cause, either we need to apply this partial revert, or
bump our GTK+ dependency.
Personally I think commit dde999b0
<https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-panel/commit/gnome-panel/panel-util.c?id=dde999b0ba9d444f5d97ff13179a585dfe1ee711>
should be reverted. Unless we have any other serious reason to bump
the dependency to 3.8 or 3.10 I would vote to leave it on 3.6. Debian
stable for example still ships 3.4.2.

I have pondered this question for a while, and asked for guidance of
more experienced maintainers.

Here is what I have come up with:
The gnome-panel 3.8 series is targeted at working in combination with
other Gnome 3.8 components.
Therefore, feature patches that restore functionality when running with
e.g. g-s-d 3.8 - if sufficiently tested - are on-topic for the 3.8
series, as is this dependency bump to Gtk+ 3.8.

As I have indicated before, other, bigger refactorings are off-topic for
the 3.8 branch, and should be staged in bugzilla until such time when we
decide to merge them into master.

Lanoxx, if you still feel strongly about building gnome-panel against
GTK+ 3.6, we could re-open the 3.6 branch, and backport the flashback
work to that. What do you think ?

Cheers
  Philipp

--