Re: [gnome-flashback] Why gnome-screensaver is listed as required component for gnome flashback?

I would say, yes gnome-flashback can work without screensaver, but
1) Lock Screen applet will not work without gnome-screensaver. I think this is only thing that directly requires gnome-screensaver. Lock Screen applet requires gnome-screensaver D-BUS service.
2) Screen locking will not work as said in quoted text. But I guess this is not problem. gnome-screensaver is installed by default in ubuntu and it can be removed (it is not a dependency for any other package in ubuntu). But removing it lock does not work in ubuntu session too.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM, Dmitry Shachnev <mitya57 ubuntu com> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Balló György <ballogyor gmail com> wrote:
>> Why gnome-screensaver is listed as required component for gnome flashback
>> session? Is it really necessary?
>
> Because gnome-screensaver has no longer an autostart file since this commit:
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-screensaver/commit/?id=1940dc6bc8ad5ee2c029714efb1276c05ca80bd4
>
> The gnome-screensaver needs to be autostarted in some way, otherwise
> the screen never gets locked. Of course if an autostart file would be
> added back to gnome-screensaver or gnome-panel packages, then it can
> be removed from the required components of Flashback session.

But can gnome-flashback work without the screensaver? I.e. is it safe
for us (Debian/Ubuntu) to recommend gnome-screensaver instead of
depending on it?