Re: [team-gnome-gr] Μεταφραστικές εκκρεμότητ ες

Why not public domain like the FSF's Translation Project?

For all practical purposes, BSD license is very much like disclaiming
any copyrights, similar to what Translation Project does by asking for
disclaimers in writing. However, you still get to keep your copyright,
which is slightly easier to manage.

εδώ λέει ένα ψέμα. Οι μεταφράσεις που γίνονται για το fsf δεν είναι
public domain. Απλά με το disclaim o μεταφραστής απόδέχεται οτι δεν θα
διεκδικήσει ποτέ χρηματική αποζημίωση για τις μεταφράσεις του. Η άδεια
παραμένει ως έχει ,δεν χάνει το copyright ούτε θεωρητικά μπορεί ένα
κλειστό πρόγραμμα να πάρει την μετάφραση και να είναι νόμιμο.

Benno Schulenberg wrote:

Bruno Patri wrote:
http://translationproject.org/disclaim.txt
"I disclaim all copyright interest in my works, which consist of
translation of portions of free software programs [...].  The
programs to which this applies include all programs for which
the Foundation is the copyright holder, and all other freely
redistributable software programs."

As far as I can understand it, the last sentence gives me the
guarantee that my translations can not be used in proprietary
software.
... [show rest of quote]

You are correct.  I have checked with the FSF and the answer that I
gave earlier ("They can be freely copied, by anyone, for any
purpose") is wrong.  You keep your copyright, and only disclaim the
interest in your copyright on translations for free programs.

However, if some proprietary program would reuse your translations
(in significant amounts), you yourself would have to take action
against the maker, as you are the owner of the copyright on the
translations.  The FSF will not act as the guardian of your work.

(But if your translations have been used, it probably means the
msgids have been used too, and for those the FSF does own the
copyright.  So you could point the FSF at the proprietary program,
and if they decide to sue the maker, you could then piggyback on
their case.)

Benno

Στις 5 Οκτώβριος 2008 9:57 πμ, ο χρήστης Athanasios Lefteris
<alefteris gmail com> έγραψε: