Re: Self Introduction of Pranali Deshmukh for GSoD 2020

Hi Pranali,

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 4:02 PM Pranali Deshmukh via gnome-doc-list <gnome-doc-list gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

Can you please help me contact any of the mentors for the project. I have already made a few contributions to the project (Update app help) however, so far, apart from the discussions on my merge requests I haven't been able to contact anyone from GNOME including the the GSoD mentors via any of the communication mediums (email, IRC).

Thanks for your contributions. It definitely helps to get started via contributions and that puts quite a edge in your application. So, indeed you are on the right track.

As such I am worried about applying for this project for GSoD, since there seems to be no medium for gathering any direct or indirect suggestions and feedback about the work that I can do for this project.

Can you please help me contact any of the project mentors with whom I could talk to about the project itself.

Yes, I can understand any direct suggestions and feedback from mentors, helps refining the proposal; But also, do not discount the communications happened over the merge requests because that's what you will be engaged to do 90% of the time during the season.
If those things are rolling along, it's a good sign :) Highlight your contributions while finalizing your proposal for GSoD.

Coming back to your request at hand, I think you have researched and made up your mind for the project you want to pursue, so I would suggest to just start preparing the proposal. Is there a way to upload a draft proposal on the GSoD web portal?
I am sure GSoC's web portal has one, but not sure of GSoD.

Since the deadline for applications is close, you can use  your best judgement to align the proposal with the tasks and the estimated timeline and upload it to the web portal (if possible). Maybe you might then get some (last-min)feedback then :)
In parallel, continue your contributions on the things you have been doing. That'll make sure mentors know your name, before they start going through the applications they received for GSoD.

Generally GNOME is quite friendly and responsive community but, you can guess times are a lot weird and each of us (including you) might be going through a lot.
Best you can do, is to keep up the contributions and keep the timeline thing rolling. :)

Kind Regards,
Pranali Deshmukh