Launcher, Dash, Dock

While translating user docs into Dutch, I found several names for the same thing.

On the left side of the screen you see the Launcher.

In Ubuntu/Unity the Launcher contained a special icon for the Dash. The Dash was a special feature where you could quickly find applications and files on your computer, and search for information both locally and remotely.

In Ubuntu/Gnome (17.10) there is no such thing as the Dash. But in gnome-user-docs I encounter this word quite often. I think it is wrongly used for the same thing: the Launcher. Example: Simply middle-click on the application’s icon, either in the dash on the left, or in the applications overview. The applications overview is displayed using the grid button in the dash. In Dutch we have a word for Launcher (Starter), and a word for Dash (Snelzoeker). I now use the word "Starter" for both launcher and dash because it is the same thing.

Besides, in Settings I see the word Dock. Again, this refers to the same thing, the Launcher on the left side of the screen. Example: Auto-hide the Dock. The Dock hides when any windows overlap with it.

I find this very confusing. I would be very grateful if members of the gnome-user-docs team would chime in and give their view on this.

Hannie Dumoleyn, member of

Ubuntu Dutch Translators
Gnome Dutch Translators
Ubuntu Manual Project