Re: Proposal to make GnomeLove official and move it to developer.gnome.org

Magdalen Berns <m berns thismagpie com> wrote:
New jhbuild/git/whatever tutorials will came up... people won't find the
appropriate one given that the wiki
is not official.

Echo this. The developer.gnome jhbuild instructions are quite misleading
because they are not up to date. Yet, this is where newcomers are
rightfully, most likely to look first and to trust most.

I think that jhbuild is a bit different to the other GNOME Love
material, due to the fact that there is already a manual that is
hosted on developer.gnome.org. My position on that hasn't changed
since it was last discussed on ddl - I think it's a good idea to
consolidate our jhbuild documentation around the manual. The question
we're discussing here (to my understanding) is whether to move the
rest of the GNOME Love material to the wiki.

Carlos seems to be doing a good job of empathising with newcomers in this
proposal and personally, I think his assessment is pretty on the money.
Tutorials need to be trustworthy, current, comprehensive and provide step by
step guides to really be able to help a newcomer get to grips with a concept
or skill in certain cases e.g. jhbuild.

It sounds like one motivation for this proposal is to remove the
"community maintained" nature of the GNOME Love pages - so it changes
from something that anyone can fix to something that, in practice,
only Carlos will work on. It hasn't been made clear to me why this is
desirable. Are there problems with hosting these pages on the wiki,
other than people not being able to find them? How will hosting the
pages on developer.gnome.org ensure that they are any more current
than they are already?

Wikis aren't perfect, but they do have the advantage of ease of
contribution. In the past I've invested a non-trivial amount of time
into the GNOME Love documentation - something that I probably wouldn't
have done if it wasn't on wiki.gnome.org.

My personal view is that the GNOME Love pages shouldn't have a bus factor of 1.

Allan