Re: Work in progress documentation design

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 16:50:54 -0400
Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:

On Tue, 2015-07-28 at 20:00 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
On Tue, 2015-07-28 at 16:17 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
Keeping the videos up to date is considerably more work than
maintaining static SVGs.

If I interpret that correctly: If the videos received more maintenance
there'd be no reason to potentially remove them, but there's no problem
with having those videos (size, content, etc) per se.

Regarding size, we could probably have much smaller videos using SVG
animations, rather than rendering them into WebM. A few issues, most of
which are probably solvable:

1) Yelp doesn't recognize SVG animations as something you can have video
controls on to play, pause, restart, etc.

2) Yelp doesn't recognize SVG animations as something you can put TTML
subtitles on.

This shouldn't be an issue, we only use subtitles as a workaround because
we can't ship translated videos for all the languages available in GNOME.
The tarball would be too big.

I like the idea of using animated SVGs, with video controls.

pk