Re: Work in progress documentation design

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 14:06:38 +0100
Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:

Petr Kovar <pmkovar gnome org> wrote:
 1. Investigate merging the Getting Started documentation into
gnome-user-docs, in order to avoid duplication of material.

We've discussed this a few times before and the reasons why these two
modules are separate still apply. The most important factor here is the
module size. Video files are big and the module / package gets even bigger
with every new translation. ...

Sorry, I should have mentioned - I've been discussing dropping the
videos with Jakub, and going for static images only instead.

What's your reasoning behind this? I think the GS videos are a strong asset
of our getting started experience. Replacing them with static images is a
step back imho.

Also, I don't think there is any duplication of content.

I disagree - there's quite a strong overlap between "Getting Started"
and "Introduction to GNOME".

Okay, you're right. There's one page in gnome-help which overlaps with
getting-started. Seems like an easy fix, though. Let's just remove
"Introduction to GNOME" since it's very descriptive and doesn't really fit
in with the rest of topic-based content in gnome-help. We don't need that
page.

Cheers,
pk