Work in progress documentation design

Hi all,

I recently started looking at a few issues with the documentation from
a design perspective. There were a few initial goals for this:

 1. Investigate merging the Getting Started documentation into
gnome-user-docs, in order to avoid duplication of material.

 2. Update the "home screen" designs. I've become dissatisfied with
the latest mockups [1] I did for this, primarily because they don't
give you direct links into content items - this increases the number
of navigation steps, and doesn't draw the user in as it should.

As I did research for these tasks, I started to compile a list of
goals and principles [2]. These are intended to apply to both the
design of Yelp and gnome-user-docs (some goals apply to both). I'm
interested in using them as the basis for the two tasks I mentioned
above (although they could be useful elsewhere).

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on any of this! Is there
anything you particularly like, or anything that I've missed or you
disagree with?

Thanks,

Allan

[1] https://github.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/blob/master/help/help-start-2.png