Mallard Support in Vim and Geany

Hi,

My name is Jaromir and I am very interested in the GNOME Documentation Project. I work as a technical writer and in my spare time, I contribute to the Fedora Documentation Project where I maintain the System Administrator's Guide. I am also a big open source fan and a casual software developer.

Recently, I started learning Mallard and was shocked that the only editor that really supports it (and supports it well) is gedit. Unfortunately, gedit is not my editor of choice when it comes to extensive writing, so I decided to go ahead and add proper support for Mallard 1.0 to Vim, namely support for syntax highlighting and snippets. If you are interested, you can find the resulting syntax file and snippets for the snipMate plug-in here:

  * Syntax:   https://github.com/jhradilek/vim-syntax
  * Snippets: https://github.com/jhradilek/vim-snippets

When I was in it, I also added support for Mallard to Geany, because I know quite a few of my friends use it:

  * Syntax:   https://github.com/jhradilek/geany-syntax
  * Snippets: https://github.com/jhradilek/geany-snippets

Finally, I created a custom set of snippets for gedit, very similar to the snippets it currently has for DocBook:

  * Snippets: https://github.com/jhradilek/gedit-snippets

All these repositories contain a README file with detailed installation instructions. I sent my patches upstream, but so far, I only heard back from the Vim maintainer. I will also keep an eye on the Mallard 1.0 DRAFT specification and do my best to keep all these files up-to-date.

In addition, if there are any Emacs users out there who would like to try my snippets in their editor, please, let me know: I have been playing around with the nxml-mode and yasnippet and it should not be a problem for me to convert the Vim snippets for it.

Any feedback is, or course, most welcome.

Cheers,
--
Jaromir Hradilek