Re: simple file content search - where to get help ?

Hi David!

This is not a support channel, this list is used to discuss GNOME
documentation. Please use the support channels of your distribution to
get help.

> I want to search for a file.  I do not get the results I expect.  So,
> I place file xyz.txt, which contains a text string of “the text”,  in
> the Documents directory.  I then use the search feature of the
> Nautilus File Browser, version 2.28.4, to search for files containing
> “the text”, and it does not find anything.  I repeat the same test in
> a variety of directories.  The text “the text” was never found.

That said, nautilus 2.28.4 is about 2 1/2 years old and unsupported
since about 2 years. You might want to check if the feature works in the
current version (3.2.x) and otherwise consider filing a bug at
master.gnome.org. If you use a long-term stable distribution like Red
Hat oder Ubuntu LTS you might also consider filing a bug against the
distribution as you most likely have some kind of support contract.

Regards,
Johannes