simple file content search - where to get help ?

I understand this may not be a priority.  If you could point me to somewhere where I might find an answer that would be appreciated.

I want to search for a file.  I do not get the results I expect.  So, I place file xyz.txt, which contains a text string of “the text”,  in the Documents directory.  I then use the search feature of the Nautilus File Browser, version 2.28.4, to search for files containing “the text”, and it does not find anything.  I repeat the same test in a variety of directories.  The text “the text” was never found.

What might I need to do to find “the text” ?

Dave Eisenberg
Software Engineer

Xerox Corporation

Team Intrepid