Re: Making release notes more useful - 'whats new ?'

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 9:26 AM, William Jon McCann
> <william jon mccann gmail com> wrote:
> .
>>
>> We could enhance the
>> https://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/SoftwareUpdates
>> designs in two ways:
>>  * Show a What's New section when a new OS update is available
>>  * Show a What's New link to the online release notes in the post
>> install notification
>>
>> And perhaps add a What's New section to the local help documents.
>
> Those are all good ideas. But they don't help a first-time user who
> boots his system for the first time and is faced with a blank desktop.

The first time user experience is this:
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/InitialSetup

Not what you are describing.

>> Though I think we can probably do a nicer job on the web.
>
> Sure, there is no problem with having material on the web - although
> there are 'no network' scenarios to worry about. The problem is that
> people won't find it unless we give some hint that there _is_
> information out there.

I don't think we have to worry about no network scenarios that much.
Updates come from the network except for fringe cases. The design of
the OS is such that we try to ensure network connectivity - even in
the initial setup experience.

> I won't accept the classification of that as a 'nag screen', really.
> It is a valuable service to the user to inform him that he has just
> logged into a major new version of GNOME, and that there is a place to
> go and learn about it.

I described how I think it should work.

Jon