Re: Icons for page types

On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 09:59 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> In Yelp 3, we have the location entry which displays an icon
> alongside the title of the page you're viewing.  Icons are
> also shown in the history dropdown.  And as of this week,
> I have them in an auto-complete dropdown when you type into
> the search field.
>
> See my blog post for an idea of how the icons look:
>
> http://blogs.gnome.org/shaunm/2010/03/11/more-yelp-3-0-location-entry/
>
> I've been thinking about how best to use the icons.  Users
> will generally be looking at an individual help file in a
> single window.  It's not really useful to show the Empathy
> icon over and over again for every page in the Empathy help.
>
> What I'm considering is having icons for certain common page
> types.  So we'd have an icon for tasks, overviews, problems,
> guides, etc.  I think this would be particularly helpful in
> the auto-complete dropdown.

I'm attaching three rough ideas for page type icons.
Please excuse my poor artistic skills. Obviously we'd
want a real artist to do final versions.

These aren't named in any way that indicates what they
are. I'd like people to guess, to see if the metaphors
convey anything useful. And I'd love it if people could
get non-documentation friends and family to guess too.
People on this list are probably primed to give biased
answers.

--
Shaun McCance
http://syllogist.net/