Re: Icons for page types

On Sat, 2010-03-27 at 17:17 -0500, Jim Campbell wrote:

> This is a bit orthogonal to the question, but I thought about this
> some over the weekend.  With the various icons in place, I wonder if
> it is clear to users that they can search from the search/selection
> box.  The search icon only appears when the user clicks in the box and
> begins typing.
>

> Does anyone else see this?

Yeah, this is something I was concerned about when I first
created the location entry. I'm planning on adding a menu
item for search that will just focus the entry. I'm also
planning on having a "Search" entry in the history dropdown
that will do the same thing. I hope that the two of those
combined will make it more obvious, and once a user uses
the menu item or entry once, it should be clear that they
can just click inside the entry in the future.

Testing would be awesome. I just don't know where to get
people to test on.

--
Shaun McCance
http://syllogist.net/