Re: Mallard Page Templates

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
> Hi Vikram,
>
> I'm attaching the Mallard document I stubbed out to provide
> templates for different Mallard page types.  There's no real
> content in there.  I just want to show one idea of how we can
> manage templates and provide them in a way that can be easily
> published on the web.
>
> The idea is that templates are provided in the context of a
> document that can explain how to use them effectively.  One
> danger of templates is that they can encourage people to fill
> in the blanks without thinking about user needs and effective
> content.
>
> On each of these pages, in addition to showing a template you
> can copy and paste, we would provide real instructions on when
> you should use this template and how you should fill out the
> content.
>
> As I mentioned in the meeting, I think it's important that we
> draw from our real-world experience for templates.  We shouldn't
> prescribe templates from a vacuum.  Templates should capture our
> actual best practices.
>
> --
> Shaun McCance
> http://syllogist.net/

Thanks a lot for the templates, they look really nice. So here's what
I am thinking about doing next:

1. Use what you send me as a baseline, and extend that index page or
modify it a little and then add stuff.
2. Collect templates that specify certain tricks and tips covering
just about everything that I know and have seen before
3. Organize then nicely into the index page you gave me and then
submit the whole thing back to you.
4. Then you can probably push it to git somewhere :)

So how does that sound.

--
Regards,
Vikram Dhillon

~~~
There are lots of Linux users who don't care how the kernel works, but
only want to use it. That is a tribute to how good Linux is.
-- Linus Torvalds