Re: Topics for review (gnome desktop help)

Hi April,

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 13:55 +0800, April Gonzales wrote:
> Attached are the drafts for review:
> - look-theme.page
> - look-windowbuttons.page
>
> Also, I've added an introductory paragraph to the look and feel page
> (look.page).. please let me know if we can adapt this and apply it to
> all other subsequent pages that link to the help topics.
>
> Lastly, I was thinking, should we try and make the titles of the
> topics more consistent? I noticed that there are some titles stated in
> the form of a question, whereas there are others that simply state
> what the topic is all about. I am not familiar with the style you guys
> are using though, so I'm just putting my ideas out there :)
>
> I'll continue working on the other topics and send them out in
> batches, if that's all right.

Excellent work again! I've returned the files with minor comments (only
in look-windowbuttons, I think). I'll let you review the comments and
then I'll commit the topics.

With regards to look.page: it's more of a placeholder at the moment.
We're writing topics under relatively broad categories until we get the
material finished. Once we have a good set of topics, we're hoping to do
a card-sorting exercise with some non-technical users to implement the
actual structure of the desktop help. This means that the current guide
pages, like look.page, might not exist after we've done all of the
structural work, so it's best not to put too much effort into writing
them at the moment. Your text looked good though, so I'll leave it in
there (look.page is one of the guide pages most likely to survive).

The same goes for title consistency really. Lots of aspects of the style
are up in the air and we're experimenting with them, so we haven't
actually settled on a title style yet. We'll do a full edit once things
have taken shape a little more and fix things like that.

(So, as you can see from all of the loose ends, we're still quite early
in the writing process!)

Thanks,

Phil

--
Phil Bull
https://launchpad.net/~philbull

  <info>
    <link type="guide" xref="index"/>

    <desc>Customizing Your Desktop</desc>
    <revision pkgversion="0.1" version="0.1" date="2010-07-26" status="stub"/>

    <credit type="author">
      <name>GNOME Documentation Project</name>
      <email>gnome-doc-list gnome org</email>
    </credit>

  </info>

<title>Look and Feel</title>

Your desktop allows for very flexible customization. There are a host of things you can do to change the look and feel of your desktop, such as modifying desktop backgrounds, fonts, icons, and themes. Below are some of the most common ways for you to make your desktop truly your own:
</page>
<page xmlns="http://projectmallard.org/1.0/";
      type="topic" id="look-windowbuttons">

  <info>
    <link type="guide" xref="look"/>

    <desc>How to change the layout of the window buttons</desc>
    <revision pkgversion="0.1" version="0.1" date="2010-07-26" status="stub"/>

    <credit type="author">
      <name>GNOME Documentation Project</name>
      <email>gnome-doc-list gnome org</email>
    </credit>
    <credit type="author">
      <name>April Gonzales</name>
      <email>loonycookie gmail com</email>
    </credit>

  </info>

<title>Change the order of the close, minimize, and maximize window buttons</title>

<!-- This is a situation that could benefit from a screenshot. We need to use the default Clearlooks blue theme for GNOME. -->

<!-- "graphical user interface" and "native application" are quite jargony. Does the reader need to know this? If not, we can skip straight to the instructions -->

<steps>
<!-- "dialog box" is jargon, have been using "window" recently (GNOME documentation style guidelines are outdated and need replacing) -->
<!-- The position of the colon is important in this example. The colon determines whether the buttons are to the left or right of the window -->
</steps>

<note>
<list>
</list>
</note>

</page>
<page xmlns="http://projectmallard.org/1.0/";
      type="topic" id="look-theme">

  <info>
    <link type="guide" xref="look"/>

    <desc>How to change the appearance of your desktop</desc>
    <revision pkgversion="0.1" version="0.1" date="2010-07-26" status="stub"/>

    <credit type="author">
      <name>GNOME Documentation Project</name>
      <email>gnome-doc-list gnome org</email>
    </credit>
    <credit type="author">
      <name>April Gonzales</name>
      <email>loonycookie gmail com</email>
    </credit>

  </info>

<title>Change the way that windows and programs look</title>

<steps>

</steps>

</page>