Re: Mallardized Tetravex manual

2009/11/2 Milo Casagrande <milo casagrande name>
Hi Mario,

2009/11/2 Mario Blättermann <mariobl gnome org>:
> Yes, it helps really:-)

Happy it helped!

> New license.page is attached.
>
> Another question: I get the topics in index.page in a wrong sort order.
> Like this:
>
> Customization
> Introduction
> License
> Playing GNOME Tetravex
>
> But I want to have:
>
> Introduction
> Playing GNOME Tetravex
> Customization
> License
>
> How I can get this?

For how I undertand things (actually I can't remember if I asked Shaun
about this...), the sorting of that page is based on the titles of the
linked pages. So that's going to be a little bit hard to adjust the
sorting as long as you don't change the words you use.
What you can do instead, is "thinking" a little bit different the
layout of your help. Thinking a little bit more topic-based.

I'm attaching a simple 2-minutes hack based on what you have done.
Take a look at it and see if it can work for you. It can be adjusted
and probably expanded too.

Ciao.

I think I noticed this same issue on the Empathy help as displayed in Yelp.  One of the help sections displays the topics in an order that doesn't make logical sense (I think it was the second main section, perhaps about creating an account or chatting via IRC).

I understand that topic based help is supposed to document individual chunks of information to the user, and that these chunks should be able to stand-alone, but it still seems necessary to present those topics in a logical order.  Otherwise, it's confusing to the user.  Suggesting that users think about the help differently doesn't really help them.

Milo, is your "hack" to list the preferred order of the other .page files from within the index.page file?  That's wha it seems like you are doing in the example you provided.

Jim