Re: UI changes for control-center

On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 11:03 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Shaun McCance<shaunm gnome org> wrote:
>

> >> My suggestion for Alt-click is to turn it off by default, since it
> >> seems to cause problems for some apps, and the functionality is
> >> available via the window menu anyway.
> >
> > Alt+drag is the last resort of people who have to deal
> > with big windows on small screens.  They'll have some
> > issues using the window menu:
> >
> > 1) The title bar might not be visible if they've moved
> > it off-screen.  I'm not sure how many people know you
> > can right click on the window border.  And, I suppose,
> > it's possible the window is so asstastic that you can't
> > even see any window border.
> >
> > 2) Metacity doesn't let you drag the title bar off-screen,
> > except when you're using alt+drag.  (Maybe it allows this
> > if the window is bigger than the screen.  If it's smart
> > enough for that, strike this point.)
> >
> > I know, fix those apps, right?
> >

> Nah, just tell them to use Alt-F7. The window menu even lists that as
> the shortcut, so it is actually sortof discoverable.

Ah, right.  Certainly more discoverable than Alt+drag.

And I just tested it: Metacity does allow you to move the
title bar off-screen with Alt+F7 if the window is too big
for the screen.

So I don't object to that proposal in general, though I'm
somewhat concerned about doing it after the UI freeze.
We'd need to look for places where users are instructed
to Alt+drag and update them to say to use Alt+F7. (And
that's also only a half truth, since those keybindings
are configurable.)

--
Shaun