Re: Mallard 1.2 Ideas

2009/8/5 Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>:

> All right, let's kill the term "User Guide" right now.  Let's
> talk about the "Desktop Help".  The Desktop Help is a document,
> and it will be the default document loaded by Yelp.  It has
> lots and lots of pages that deal with various things.
>
> The Nautilus Help is a collection of pages all about Nautilus.
> I'll call any collection of pages a "stack".  As I've said
> before, I think it makes sense to maintain certain stacks in
> separate modules.  So the Nautilus stack would be maintained
> in the nautilus module.

> So in a sense, what this proposal is about is allowing us
> to specify sort of subdocuments within a document.

Shaun, how can we proceed with this? I mean, technically speaking...
during last IRC meeting we discussed about creating a new "directory"
in the g-u-d repo for gnome3-user-guide, but since it is an absolutely
interesting idea to talk in terms of a "Desktop Help" with separate
documents in separate modules (that means per-application help), how
can we move?

I think it's time we start to create something, even only as place to
store ideas or to experiment, as a proof-of-concept, but we need
something, even in the wiki. We can go with gitorious or use the g-u-d
repo. We can store drafts of documents for various applications there
and then move them to their modules.

Maybe the best way to start is creating a new wiki page (DesktopHelp,
better ideas?) under the DocumentationProject were we can foster these
ideas, give them a structure and see what needs to be done, what
actions should we take. What do you think?

--
Milo Casagrande <milo casagrande name>