Re: Gnome 3 and Documentation

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 4:44 AM, Milo Casagrande <milo casagrande name> wrote:

>> If we could get a a build team together to produce virtual
>> machine images of vanilla upstream Gnome, it would be very
>> helpful.  We need these sooner rather than later.
>
> What about this:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeDeveloperKit
>
> is it suitable or enough up-to-date for this task?
>
> I knew they were creating virtual images for the development version
> throughout the development, but I don't know how vanilla it is/was, I
> usually use Ubuntu development version in this situation, even if it's not
> really vanilla.
>
> I have never created a virtual machine so I'm asking it here: what would be
> necessary to accomplish that starting from GNOME svn/git?
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Milo Casagrande <milo casagrande name>

The GNOME Dev Kit should work for this - it's based on Foresight
Linux, which I also help out with.  The Dev Kit is maintained by 2
volunteers (Jesse & Ken VanDine - both idle in #gnome-love in IRC) and
the GNOME 2.26 bits are just being finalized in it now.  It uses the
Conary package management system, and it updateable, and is strictly
vanilla GNOME.

I think one of the big questions is how compositing works in a VM, but
I think it should work.  I know using the Dev Kit is a lot easier than
using jhbuild for newcomers.

Paul