Re: More developer.gnome.org cleanup

On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 12:12 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> Time for more developer.gnome.org cleanup. We need to move more stuff to
> library.gnome.org or to the wiki or accept that it's old and useless.
> Any volunteers?
>

> The Nautilus Internals document
> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/whitepapers/nautilus/nautilus-internals.html
> needs to be changed to DocBook from sxw (OpenOffice).
> http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/nautilus/trunk/docs/nautilus-internals.sxw?view=log
> Then it can be put on library.gnome.org automatically whenever Nautilus
> tarballs are released.

Are there Nautilus developers that could be bugged about this?
Maintainers are generally responsible for their own internal
architecture documentation.

> This Standards page is just a list of links. I guess it should be added
> to the "Overview of the GNOME Platform" if there is nothing similar in
> that already.
> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/standards/

There is one that's actually hosted on dgo: "GNOME Window
Manager Compliance".  Is this document worth keeping?  If
so, I suppose we should put it in gnome-devel-docs.

As for the rest, we can add whatever links make sense to
the Platform Overview.  I just need to know which links
we really think are worthwhile.

CORBA - relevant to the "Bonobo and CORBA" section of
the Overview, although deprecated.

DOM - not really relevant desktop-wide, although if ever
we have a blessed HTML component, we'd want to talk about
that in the Overview, and then the link is relevant.

Window Manager Hints - broken link.

Xdnd - already in the Overview.

XML - should be added in the XML section.

X Window System - not really a link to a standard per se.
The Overview doesn't really mention X much right now.

> I think all 3 optimisation documents
> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/guides/optimisation/
> should be put in one DocBook document. Is there a suitable existing
> DocBook document that we can just add a chapter to?
> Here is the source HTML:
> http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/web-devel-2/trunk/content/doc/guides/optimisation/

Already sort of done:

http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gnome-devel-docs/trunk/optimization-guide/

It's not included in the build yet, because somebody needs
to clean it up and make sure it functions well as a single
document.

> Are these Programming Guidelines worth saving? Here is the source HTML:
> http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/web-devel-2/trunk/content/doc/guides/programming-guidelines/

It's a very old document.  I would want somebody to give it
a hefty review and edit before we put it in gnome-devel-docs.
All the same, it's a useful sort of document to have.

> I feel that some of these Developer Tools things should go in the wiki
> where they are more likely to be kept up to date:
> http://developer.gnome.org/tools/

I think there's value in having a GNOME Developer Site.  It
wouldn't contain much content itself, but an attractive and
useful site could go a long way in making a good impression
on potential new developers and ISDs.

Personally, I'd like to see the developer site be a sort of
site branding, independent of machine names.  So bugzilla,
while not accessed through developer.gnome.org, would appear
as part of the developer site.  Then developer.gnome.org
would just be a single access point for all the developer
subsites.

--
Shaun