Re: Freedesktop sound theme support in gnome-control-center trunk

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 23:24 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> On 28 Jul 2008, at 00:54, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > - "Play system beep sound" (this enables the audible bell in X)
> >
> > Ideas for better strings welcome.
>

> OS X calls this the "alert" sound-- perhaps we could do the same?  (Or
> "desktop alert", or "system alert"-- but having to put "system" in
> front of a noun in the GUI is usually a bad sign...)

Yeah, we would just need to make sure that it's called one way or the
other everywhere. I really don't mind either way. Let me know what your
executive decision would be for the resulting strings.

> Incidentally, from the screenshot alone[1] I'm a little confused...
> are the "system beep" checkbox and the "audible bell" list entry
> controlling the same thing, and if so, why do I get to control it in
> two different places, in two different ways, with two different names?

They do. The screenshot in my blog post is more recent:
http://www.hadess.net/2008/07/freedesktop-sound-theme-support-done.html

Both of the "sub" toggles at the top allow users to disable certain
parts of the theme altogether. As in, it disables all the input feedback
buttons, and the audible bell. If they are enabled, then they are
customisable above and beyond a simple toggle.

> Incidentally again, always a little disappointing when usability-maint gnome bugs
>   aren't cc'ed on bugs like this so we at least have the chance to
> give some input from the start... nothing personal, just a gentle
> reminder to everyone :)

Getting the code in was the most important part, and I kind of did my
own usability study here ;) (to be honest, others involved in the
discussions wanted to rid of the sound customisation altogether, which
would have pissed off a few people).