Re: Terminology: "exit" versus "quit"

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 18:55 +0200, Gabor Kelemen wrote:
> Calum Benson írta:
> >
> > On 1 Jul 2008, at 03:22, Leonardo F. Fontenelle wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any difference between "exit" and "quit" in GNOME terminology?
> >>
> >> Currently in Brazil we are translating both "exit" and "quit" as the
> >> same "sair". I just wanted to be sure we're doing the right thing.
> >
> > If you mean in GUI labels, applications shouldn't be using "Exit",
> > only "Quit".  So please file bugs against applications that are using
> > "Exit" :)
> >
> So you mean all of this should be reported:
> (grepping through my folder of 2.23 translations, without docs)
>
> gabor shaihulud:~/forditas/aktualis$ grep -v ^# * | grep -i Exit
> anjuta.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "Command exited with status %d"
> anjuta.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "Program exited normally\n"
> anjuta.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "Program exited with error code %s\n"
> anjuta.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "Process exited."
> anjuta.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "Call __libc_freeres() at exit before checking
> for memory leaks"
> bug-buddy.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "gdb has already exited"

I think exit needs to be retained when talking about
programs exiting, as opposed to a user quitting an
application.  A program can't quit; that sounds odd.
These are all sort of developer-oriented.  They're
talking about processes, not applications in the
way users think of them.

> conduit.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "Save settings on exit"

We might need to retain "on exit", because "on quit"
doesn't sound at all right.  Maybe "when quitting",
but I don't care for that.  Calum?

> devhelp.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "Display the version and exit"

I believe this is a command line message, telling
you what happens when you pass "--version".  This
is probably not worth changing.

> epiphany.HEAD.hu.po:"Epiphany appears to have exited unexpectedly the
> last time it was run. You "

Again, an application can't quit.

> epiphany.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "In keyboard selection mode, press F7 to exit"

Could be wrong.  Is "exit" here referring to quitting
the application, or just exiting some mode?

> evince.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "End of presentation. Press Escape to exit."

Is this exiting a presentation mode, or quitting Evince?

> evolution-data-server.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "sendmail exited with signal %s:
> mail not sent."
> evolution-data-server.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "sendmail exited with status %d:
> mail not sent."
> evolution.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "Empty Junk folders on exit"
> evolution.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "Empty Trash folders on exit"
> evolution.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "Empty all Junk folders when exiting Evolution."
> evolution.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "Empty all Trash folders when exiting Evolution."
> evolution.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "Minimum days between emptying the junk on exit"
> evolution.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "Minimum days between emptying the trash on exit"
> evolution.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "Minimum time between emptying the junk on
> exit, in days."
> evolution.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "Minimum time between emptying the trash on
> exit, in days."
> evolution.HEAD.hu.po:"Evolution appears to have exited unexpectedly the
> last time it was\n"

See above comments.

> evolution.HEAD.hu.po:msgid "Exit the program"

Probably wrong.  I'd have to see it in context.

Jeez, there's a lot of these.  I think all the ones
below fall under something I already said.