Re: Terminology: "exit" versus "quit"

On 1 Jul 2008, at 03:22, Leonardo F. Fontenelle wrote:

Is there any difference between "exit" and "quit" in GNOME terminology?

Currently in Brazil we are translating both "exit" and "quit" as the
same "sair". I just wanted to be sure we're doing the right thing.

If you mean in GUI labels, applications shouldn't be using "Exit", only "Quit". So please file bugs against applications that are using "Exit" :)

If you mean in user documentation, the GDSG currently suggests a slight difference, although I'm not sure it's not one I agree with:

exit
Definition: To stop an application from running. Exit implies normal cessation of application activity.
Usage: Normal text rules.
Tags: Prose tag rules.
Example: If you close the last window, the application exits.
Note: See also quit.

quit
Definition: To abruptly stop an application, without necessarily completing current tasks. Quit implies a sudden or unexpected cessation of activity.
Usage: Normal text rules.
Tags: Prose tag rules.
Example: To quit the application without saving your current project, select Ctrl+Q.
Note: See also exit.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team