Re: Word-a-Day preview round

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 18:41 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2008, at 16:59, Shaun McCance wrote:
>
> > Actually, most style guides agree that you "select" a check box.
>

> Interesting... personally I'd say that you check the box to select the
> option that it represents, you don't select the box itself.
> ('Selecting' a checkbox actually implies 'focusing' it to me, although
> obviously the correct word for that is, er... 'focusing'.).

I also wanted to mention one peculiar thing I'd thought
of before.  You sometimes see list boxes with check boxes
inside.  If you click a label, you select the row, like
you could with any other list box.  But if you click the
check box, you select it.  So if you say something like
"Select 'I like mangos'", it's ambiguous.

--
Shaun