Re: Word-a-Day: button, command button, toggle button

On 23 Apr 2008, at 17:52, Shaun McCance wrote:

Refer to a button using its label and the word "button".
For common buttons such as 'Cancel' or 'Help', you may
simply'use the button label when instructing the user
to click the button.

Correct:
Click the 'Theme Details' button.
Click 'Close'.

So, this brings up a presentation issue, which is a bit of a digression...

How are we saying the label should be written-- in quotes? Leave it up to the DocBook stylesheets (which currently render labels in bold, no quotes)? What about for non-DocBook documents, or plain text documents?

If possible, insert the icon after the label in parentheses.

I think the need for parentheses is related to the last point-- if the label isn't quoted, then the parantheses look a bit redundant and odd IMHO. But I admit they're kind of necessary when the label is quoted.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team