Re: Word-a-Day: toggle

On Apr 8, 2008, at 8:01 PM, Shaun McCance wrote:
Correct:
Click Toolbar on the View menu to turn on or off the toolbar.

Adjusted for grammar:
Click Toolbar in the View menu to turn the toolbar on or off.

Adjusted for user focus:
To turn the toolbar on or off, from the View menu click Toolbar.

Aside from being a sort of geeky word, "toggle"
as a verb presents translation problems.

I agree that "toggle" is a geeky word, but I don't think translatability is a reason to avoid any word choice. Translators should express the *ideas* in the best way they can, not try to translate the exact words used in the English version. (Sometimes another language may have a term or idiom that makes a sentence much simpler than it is in the English version.)

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/