Re: Word-a-Day: capplet, preference tool

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 15:52 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> capplet
> Do not use.  Use "preference tool" instead.
> preference tool
> A small application that allows users to change their
> preference settings.  Refer to a specific preference
> tool using its title and the phrase "preference tool".
> If the title ends with the word "Preferences", drop
> this when used with the phrase "preference tool".
>
> Do not use the word "capplet".
>
> Correct:
> To adjust the handedness of your mouse, open the
>   *Mouse* preference tool.
>
> Incorrect:
> To adjust the handedness of your mouse, open the
>   *Mouse Preferences* tool.
> To change the appearance of the applications on your
>   desktop, open the *Theme* capplet.
>
> There currently seems to be about equal usage of
> "preference tool" and "preferences tool".  My pick
> is "preference tool", because I think it sounds more
> natural.

I have some misgiving about the use of 'tool', which is often used to
produce something, and it is an indirect means to making a change. I
think 'manager', 'control', or 'panel' are better words that users will
understand. Perusing several appliance manuals, 'control' and 'panel',
and 'control panel' are used. The only 'tools' I see is the special
wrench used to unlock my sink's garbage disposal, and the jack to my
automobile.

--

__C U R T I S  C.  H O V E Y_______
Guilty of stealing everything I am.