Re: Word-a-Day: capplet, preference tool

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 15:52 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> capplet
> Do not use.  Use "preference tool" instead.
> preference tool
> A small application that allows users to change their
> preference settings.  Refer to a specific preference
> tool using its title and the phrase "preference tool".
> If the title ends with the word "Preferences", drop
> this when used with the phrase "preference tool".
>
> Do not use the word "capplet".
>
> Correct:
> To adjust the handedness of your mouse, open the
>   *Mouse* preference tool.
>
> Incorrect:
> To adjust the handedness of your mouse, open the
>   *Mouse Preferences* tool.
> To change the appearance of the applications on your
>   desktop, open the *Theme* capplet.
>
> There currently seems to be about equal usage of
> "preference tool" and "preferences tool".  My pick
> is "preference tool", because I think it sounds more
> natural.

On further thought, I think this is inadequate for
a number of reasons.  Tools that affect system-wide
settings should not be called "preference tools".
They could instead be called "settings tools".  We
wouldn't want to use the singular "setting tools",
because "setting" could be confused as the gerund
for the verb "set".  Given that, it's probably best
to use "preferences tool" for consistency.

I think we should also make a recommendation on how
to name preferences and settings tools themselves,
since these are not just documentation recommendations.
I think something like "use Preferences|Settings in the
title of the window and in any buttons which launch the
tool, but not in the menu item" would work.

--
Shaun