Re: Word-a-Day: instant message

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 14:48 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 21:23 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> > Il giorno mar, 08/04/2008 alle 11.15 -0500, Shaun McCance ha scritto:
> > > Luca, you sent this off-list.  I don't see anything personal
> > > or whatever in here, so I assume it was an accident.
> >
> > Sorry, my fault, clicked the wrong button..

> > > Good question.  I think when the context of instant
> > > messaging has been established, words like "message"
> > > and "conversation" can be used alone.  Gaim 2.0 uses
> > > "New Instant Message" in the Buddies menu, but "IM"
> >
> > OT: could we kill "buddy"?
>
> Added to the list.  Is "contact" a good word?

I agree that buddy should be banned. I don't like 'contact'. I think it
has too many meanings to be associated with a person. Are chat rooms
also contacts?

Using my wife as an example, she stumbles to find someone's email
address/address/phone number is Evolution because it uses the term
'Contacts'. She is thinking of an people or address book. I think this
is a similar problem. This is may only be an issue in English.

No better words come time mind, but I would prefer a word that
definitely meant people and groups.

--

__C U R T I S  C.  H O V E Y_______
Guilty of stealing everything I am.