Re: Request to break hard code freeze to fix Tomboy crasher

Le mardi 11 septembre 2007, à 07:40 -0700, Sanford Armstrong a écrit :
> On 9/11/07, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> > Le mardi 11 septembre 2007, à 06:50 -0700, Sanford Armstrong a écrit :
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Recently bug #475516 was reported for Tomboy, basically stating that
> > > the first time Tomboy is started (as an applet) after a user creates
> > > note with the old Sticky Notes applet, Tomboy's Sticky Notes Import
> > > addin causes Tomboy to crash.
> > >
> > > Attached is the proposed fix, which solves the problem by only showing
> > > the import results dialog if the user explicitly initiates an import
> > > through the Tools menu.  This is a very minor UI change that should
> > > not affect the documentation.
> > >
> > > I request to break hard code freeze in order to apply this patch.  I
> > > believe this is a very important bug to fix considering that several
> > > distros ship with Tomboy in the panel by default.
> >
> > I must admit I find it weird that this fixes the crash. I mean,
> > something else showing a dialog during startup will make tomboy crash
> > too, won't it?
>
> You're probably right, but nothing else in Tomboy shows a dialog on
> startup.  Unfortunately I just don't have time to do a lot of
> detective work on this bug.  This change is probably the UI behavior
> we should have had in the first place, anyway.

(100% agree for the UI :-))

> So yeah, a better understanding of the crash would be nice, and I'd
> gladly take any patches or suggestions...but for now this is the fix I
> have.

Okay, here's the first approval from me since a workaround is better
than a crash, but I'd like you to keep the bug opened so someone can
investigate later. [of course, I can't force you to keep the bug opened,
but that sounds better to me]

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.