Re: SVN strange behavior

Hi,

On 9/5/07, dooteo <dooteo zundan com> wrote:
> I found a PO file translated to Basque lang but nobody from Basque team
> does translate it. As far as I supossed , it was translated for Ubuntu
> distribution. I'm talking about Beagle's basque translation.
>
> The matter is that this file does not follow  Basque translation
> terminology and style, so I have to remove it from repository.
>
> How can GNOME's basque team control translation if  others whose got
> access to SVN modify eu.po files without permission.

Indeed, Mikel sent the Basque translation to the Beagle mailing list,
and I suggested that he coordinate with the Basque translation team so
that (a) effort wouldn't be duplicated, (b) he could collaborate with
other members of the Basque translation team, and (c) so that he could
get SVN access himself.

>From my perspective, some Basque translation is better than none at
all, and I am happy that someone was willing to put forth the effort
and make a contribution to open source software.  I committed it
because I'm the maintainer of Beagle.

> By the other hand, Mikel didn't contact me to ask to translate this
> file. And the first step is to ask is somebody is translating any file.
> In this case, this file will be translated by Basque Goverment's
> translators.

My hope of course is that Mikel and your team can collaborate and
produce a high-quality translation.  If there were previously a Basque
translation and Mikel was merely making a correction, I would have
deferred to the GTP and pointed him to you.  But in this case there
was nothing before, and I don't think that putting up obstacles is a
good way to foster open source contributions.

Remember too that Beagle isn't an official part of GNOME currently, so
translation deadlines, string freezes, etc. don't really apply and we
have some leeway with regards to the "official" process and make
changes as necessary.  I don't have any immediate releases planned for
the trunk, so we should have time to resolve this.  And if we're
unable to by then, I can simply not include the Basque translation in
that release.

Thanks,
Joe