Re: /gnome-common/doc-build/xmldocs.make and docdir

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 23:01 +0300, Stefan Kost wrote:
> Hi Shaun,
> Shaun McCance schrieb:
> > On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 08:24 +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:
> >> hi,

> >> xmldocs.make is used to build the user-manual for gtk-doc. There is a
> >> plan to switch to gnome-doc-utils for the gtk-doc manual, but its
> >> blocked on broken libxml on ubuntu edgy. Will check this again after
> >> upgrading to gutsy.
> >>
> >> Anyway, I still see xmldocs.make use here and there and thus would
> >> like to figure our whats wrong there and fix it.
> >
> > All right.  I'm just trying to figure out what else is
> > setting docdir that this conflicts with.  With g-d-u
> > I tried to give all the Makefile variables consistent
> > names prefixed with DOC_ or _DOC_ to avoid conflicts,
> > although it does use docdir as a shell variable a few
> > times.  But this clearly isn't a g-d-u conflict.
> >
> > And it doesn't seem to be a conflict with gtk-doc either.
> > gtk-doc doesn't seem to use itself to build anything, and
> > it certainly isn't loading gtk-doc.make in that particular
> > directory, which is all that should matter.
> >
> > So where's the docdir conflict coming from?
> >
> docdir is a standard variable from autotools like 'datadir' and 'builddir'.

Ah.  In that case, it should absolutely be changed.  Malcolm
Tredinnick is in the MAINTAINERS file for gnome-common, but
I haven't seen him around in ages.  I've generally talked to
James Henstridge about gnome-common changes in the past.  I'm
CCing him to see what can be done.

--
Shaun