Re: /gnome-common/doc-build/xmldocs.make and docdir

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 08:24 +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:
> hi,
>
> Quoting Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>:
>
> > On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 15:25 +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> xmldocs.make at
> >> http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gnome-common/trunk/doc-build/xmldocs.make?revision=3486&view=markup
> >> redefines docdir and thus I get
> >>
> >> xmldocs.make:39: docdir was already defined in condition TRUE, which
> >> includes condition ENABLE_SCROLLKEEPER ...
> >> help/manual/C/Makefile.am:8:   `xmldocs.make' included from here
> >> configure.in:8: ... `docdir' previously defined here
> >>
> >> when running autogen (e.g. for gtk-doc). Shouldn't xmldocs.make use e.g.
> >>
> >> - docdir = $(datadir)/gnome/help/$(docname)/$(lang)
> >> + helpdocdir = $(datadir)/gnome/help/$(docname)/$(lang)
> >>
> >> and use the new symbol?
> >
> > Are you using xmldocs.make in conjunction with another documentation
> > build utility like gnome-doc-utils or gtk-doc?
> >
> xmldocs.make is used to build the user-manual for gtk-doc. There is a
> plan to switch to gnome-doc-utils for the gtk-doc manual, but its
> blocked on broken libxml on ubuntu edgy. Will check this again after
> upgrading to gutsy.
>
> Anyway, I still see xmldocs.make use here and there and thus would
> like to figure our whats wrong there and fix it.

All right.  I'm just trying to figure out what else is
setting docdir that this conflicts with.  With g-d-u
I tried to give all the Makefile variables consistent
names prefixed with DOC_ or _DOC_ to avoid conflicts,
although it does use docdir as a shell variable a few
times.  But this clearly isn't a g-d-u conflict.

And it doesn't seem to be a conflict with gtk-doc either.
gtk-doc doesn't seem to use itself to build anything, and
it certainly isn't loading gtk-doc.make in that particular
directory, which is all that should matter.

So where's the docdir conflict coming from?

--
Shaun