Re: Future licence suggestions (was : License problem in Ubuntu Desktop Guide)

On 9/6/06, karderio <karderio gmail com> wrote:
Hi :o)

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 11:16 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> In the end, maybe we should
> just switch to a license that people hate less.

I have been pondering documentation licences since the beginning of this
thread, considering a possible change looming in the future. One idea
keeps coming back to me : why not release our docs to the public
domain ?

I too have no problem with public domain when it comes to re-use of
Ubuntu docs. However, the problem of importing text, verbatim, from
other sources would remain; we would not be able to import anything
that is released under the GFDL or cc-by-sa without getting specific
approval from each of the authors to allow us to put their work into
the public domain. We can't arbitrarily change the license of licensed
works, whether it's GFDL->cc-by-sa or GFDL->public domain.

Cheers,
Jeff

--
Jeff Schering