RE: License problem in Ubuntu Desktop Guide (Re: Incorporating Gnomedocs into ours) sec=unclassified

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2006-September/thread.html

> I think the much bigger question is, why does Ubuntu
> feel the need to have its own desktop guide, and
> what
> can Mallard to do help?
>
> Was that two questions?  Does that make this four?

As far as I can tell:

1a. Ubuntu Desktop Guide covers things that we can't.
Eg installing packages, using ubuntu with a dual boot
system, getting MP3s to play, getting hardware to
work.  We can't cover those because of this whole
linux/gnome/distro stack business, which, if you read
slashdot, is *apparently* a strength of free software.
meh.

1b. Ubuntu Desktop Guide has a more "get started"
approach. Eg 'how do I play my music?', 'how do I
print stuff?', 'how do I get onto the internet?' See
here for example:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2006-August/006986.html
This is stuff we could have in the user guide, but
probably not to the depth Ubuntu covers it.

2. Mallard would allow us to define a structure for a
comprehensive User Guide, leaving gaps for material
from the Ubuntu docs to slot in.
This appears to be a not-so-recent merging of the
GNOME UG and the Ubuntu UG:
http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/index.html
The split there seems pretty clean (1-8 is gnome,
beyond that is ubuntu).
With Mallard, we could work together, devise a super
all-singing, all-dancing structure for a user guide,
and figure out which bits gnome does, and which bits
ubuntu (or another distro) does.

But here's a 5th question: does Ubuntu's
dual-licensing prevent material from Ubuntu docs
moving upstream and coming into our user guide?