Re: License problem in Ubuntu Desktop Guide (Re: Incorporating

On Sep 6, 2006, at 9:04 PM, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
1a. Ubuntu Desktop Guide covers things that we can't. Eg installing packages, using ubuntu with a dual boot system, getting MP3s to play, getting hardware to work. We can't cover those because of this whole linux/gnome/distro stack business, which, if you read slashdot, is *apparently* a strength of free software. meh.

So it would be really really cool if the Gnome help assumed that
(a) people using Gnome are using an operating system based on Gnome, and

1b. Ubuntu Desktop Guide has a more "get started" approach. Eg 'how do I play my music?', 'how do I print stuff?', 'how do I get onto the internet?' See here for example:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2006-August/006986.html
This is stuff we could have in the user guide, but probably not to the depth Ubuntu covers it.

(b) people browsing help are looking for answers to questions (a
    relative strength of the Ubuntu Desktop Guide), not in "manuals" or
    "guides" as such.

2. Mallard would allow us to define a structure for a comprehensive User Guide, leaving gaps for material from the Ubuntu docs to slot in.

That would be very good (dare I say long overdue?), though it would put distributors under the gun for ensuring those gaps were always filled in. (We saw this in microcosm with yelp's "Try this search at ____" function; it makes much more sense if distributors customize it than if they don't.)

But here's a 5th question: does Ubuntu's dual-licensing prevent material from Ubuntu docs moving upstream and coming into our user guide?

I think so, if GFDL-with-no-invariant-sections-or-cover-texts (Gnome) is close enough to ambiguous-GFDL (Ubuntu) to be considered "precisely this License" (GFDL section 4). The result would be GFDL, losing the CC-BY-SA from the Ubuntu Desktop Guide.

But while the GFDL might be reasonable for manuals, it's an *awful* license for help pages. It would require each new version of a page to have a distinct title (4.A, hence the ugly "GnomeApp Manual V2.8" titles Gnome has currently), a title page (4.B~C) containing a list of the authors (4.B), a copy of the GFDL itself (4.H), a changelog (4.I), and the URL of the page's source code (4.J). Completely unreasonable.

I don't say this as a defense of the CC-BY-SA, which has most of the same problems. But if we're going to start writing standalone help pages (something I'd be interested in), a merged Ubuntu Desktop Guide and Gnome User Guide probably isn't a legally useful starting point.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/