Re: PDFs for user-guide, accessibility-guide and system-admin-guide

Jeff Waugh wrote:
<quote who="Brent Smith">

What is the licensing policy for the said font and where can I find it?
This is something I've been meaning to do, but haven't got around to yet.
Right now it uses the default fonts for PDF, which makes the PDF size
considerably smaller.

Should be shipped in any modern distribution.

  http://www.gnome.org/fonts/

- Jeff

Here is my attempt at this:

http://www.gnome.org/~bmsmith/system-admin-guide-bitstream.pdf

There are a number of problems I see:
1) There is no italic serif font shipped by bitstream.
2) Due to a limitation of FOP, only glyphs used in the truetype font are
embedded in the PDF (no codepage information).  Therefore searching,
indexing and cut-n-paste do not work properly[1].

I got around 2) by specifying the ansi encoding when generating the font
metrics which seems to work ok, but 1) is still a blocker.

Do you know why there is no italic serif font?

[1]http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.20.5/fonts.html#embedding

Thanks,

--
Brent Smith <gnome nextreality net>