Re: What's down, doc? Standartize - standartize ...

Yesterday at 23:33, Shaun McCance wrote:

> So translators are getting these by grabbing
> updated files from the status page?

Yes.

> Isn't there a potential for clobbering translations?  As in,
> I translate some strings and commit.  Then I grab a new po
> file from the status pages, but the status pages haven't
> updated since my commit.  So just overwriting my local copy
> with that file could potentially clobber my translations.

Yes.  But those who use the status pages for this are usually aware
that they update only periodically ;)

Of course, most teams have only a single CVS committer, so if that
single person loses her mind, and doesn't notice that they've already
updated the same thing (they have to edit the ChangeLog), well, more
work for them :)

In practice, since status pages are updated several times a day (3 is
the current value I think), and translators don't do a dozen of
incremental updates in each module every day, it's really not a
problem.

> Am I missing something?

Just the fact that we are already trained to wait for status pages to
update, and rare are those translators who "cvs up" modules which
don't show changes in status pages (i.e. status pages are the starting
point for all translation work, and we all know how to use them all
too well).

> As for figures, perhaps we could put the C figures on the
> documentation translation status pages.  Better still, we
> could put them on the status pages with some comments on
> how to reproduce them.  We could put translator comments
> before the imageobject element, and we could extract those
> comments and display them with the images on the web.

I think there is even no need to put them directly on the status
pages, we can simply point to them using http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/
links :)

In general, I plan to provide a single page-per module which would be
completely customised reporting all the interesting stuff:

 - complete CVS commands to check it out and commit a translation
 - list of all figures, figures for which there are no translations,
   and translator comments for reproducing each
 - translated XML, perhaps even with direct rendering (installing
   g-d-u stylesheets and setting style so Gecko-enabled browsers
   render it directly just like Yelp does ;)

Cheers,
Danilo