Re: What's down, doc? Standartize - standartize ...

Yesterday at 21:14, Shaun McCance wrote:

> But you want to validate the contents of your messages without
> having to configure and make and all that crap.  And that makes
> perfect sense, particularly given what I said to (3).  I'm not
> sure how well we can manage validity checks, particularly given
> stuff like <placeholder-$/> elements.  But well-formedness checks
> are certainly doable.  Danilo?

Well, xml2po can't do a merge if it's not well-formed, since it
constructs the XML tree in-memory.  Basically, if it merges OK, than
it's well-formed.

I believe Al asked about doing such check on commit (we do a similar
check for PO files using printf format modifiers, because msgfmt gives
us an easy access to that using "-c" [check] option), so translators
can't commit erroneous PO files for UI translations (though, they can
mess-up Pango mark-up because that's not covered by msgfmt checks
either).

How to solve that is more up to gettext, and not us, IMHO.  I can, of
course, create a simple (and probably very fast)

  is-po-file-a-set-of-well-formed-xml-snippets.py

to be used in a pre-commit check in our CVS setup ;)

Cheers,
Danilo