Re: Wiki-style documentation editing

Hi,

> > Soon it will be possible to simply work in the wiki all the time, if you
> > choose to adopt that road - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoinDocBookProject

This would be fabulostupefedous ! I believe this sort of software would
not only make all of our lives easier here at the GDP, but also
encourage new contributors. I think this is definitely the way to go.
I'm afraid I'm not optimistic enough to say that this might be "soon"
though ;)

Even if there was actually some software available that could just be
installed and configured (MoinDocBookProject hasn't yet released
anything, as far as I can see), these things are out of the scope of the
GDP, and seem to take forever. Not to criticise whoever is working on
the GNOME website that is, they probably need volunteers as much as we
do (I'm currently trying to GNOMEify the look of live.gnome.org, with
varying degrees of success).

There is another online docbook collaborative editor, that has been
mentionned here before and lives in GNOME CVS -
http://live.gnome.org/LiveDocumentationEditing. I stumbled on another on
the web - http://doc-book.sourceforge.net/homepage/. However neither of
these seem actively maintained...

So although it would be great to have this functionality, I don't see it
being up for next week. However I think it shouldn't take a few hours to
through the current documentation on the wiki, something we have
complete control over and can do at the current time. If we decide to do
this, perhaps I could hack up a script to pull the docs from cvs, index
them and dump to the wiki, and another script to spit out the diffs.

Btw Matt, I saw the documentation from the Ubuntu wiki had been put on
the main Ubuntu website as "community docs", I find this *way cool*.
Perhaps we could do the same thing for GNOME ?

Love, Karderio.