Re: scrollkeeper categories will put new users off the documentation

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 18:28 +0200, Yavor Doganov wrote:
> At Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:39:57 +0000,
> Matthew East wrote:
> >
> > (b) doesn't contain a string like "Unix" or "GNU" which users might
> > not understand.
>
> It is our task as Free Software activists to educate the users what
> "GNU" means.  Besides, I have the feeling that many users feel
> uncomfortable using the console info browser (or GNU Emacs) for
> reading info pages, so this option, as well as the name "GNU Info",
> seem to be fine.

Hi Yavor,

I agree that we should educate users. However, I'm afraid that I'm not
convinced that confusing them so that they don't know where to find
information is the best way of educating them. We have to assume that
they don't know what it means, rather than hope that by using the term
on the front page of the help system, they will automatically learn.

Matt
--
mdke ubuntu com
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF