Re: scrollkeeper categories will put new users off the documentation

Hi Shaun, thanks for replying on this!

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 17:05 -0600, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 17:56 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> > Dear doc-lists,
> >
> > I just noticed a new category has come into Yelp: GNU Info files.
> >
> > While I applaud the fact that more information is available from Yelp,
> > it now means that there are two categories on the front page of our
> > GNOME help browser which new users will not understand in any way, shape
> > or form: Man pages, and GNU Info files.
> >
> > This will cause users simply to close the help browser, I'm afraid.

{snip}

> > I would suggest that an alternative solution needs to be found, perhaps
> > placing the Man pages and GNU Info files on a lower level page (Other
> > Documentation?) would be a possibility?
>
> Our categorization and presentation is so very fundamentally
> broken, I don't think it will be the presence of those two
> extra links that causes users to close Yelp.

Users can understand the words "Desktop" and "Applications", but they
can't understand "GNU Info". At least please can we rename them? As
suggested on this thread, I like "Command Line Program Manuals/Guides",
but I would be happy with anything that (a) demonstrates that the guides
are advanced and are not GNOME manuals, and (b) doesn't contain a string
like "Unix" or "GNU" which users might not understand.

> I'm fully in favor of burying them, but creating an extra
> "Other Documentation" node isn't going to solve anything.
> We need to rethink the TOC altogether.

Ok, this can be done in the next release cycle I guess. But for the
record, it wouldn't be creating an extra node, I don't think: the "Other
Documentation" category is already there.

thanks again, Matt
--
mdke ubuntu com
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF